Slip and Fall Injury

Who Is Responsible for Slip and Fall Accidents within a Municipal Building?

Slip and fall accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere. They’re common within businesses where floors may be slick, such as grocery stores after the floors have been mopped or a spill has been cleaned up. 

In most cases, the responsible entity is pretty obvious. If a slip and fall accident happens within a business, the business is responsible. If it happens at a residential home, the homeowner is responsible. But what about those that occur within municipal buildings? 

Private vs. Public Property and Responsibility in Personal Injury Cases

If you slip and fall on private property, the property owner (and the owner’s insurance company) is on the hook for medical care and other costs, and perhaps for other damages. However, if you’re injured while on public property, including within a municipal building, things are a little different.

First, understand that while you can sue the government for the injuries you sustain, the damages will not be the same as if you were injured on private property. There are limits to the amounts you can be awarded here. 

In addition to the cap on damages, you will also find other differences in these situations. For example, you must follow very specific procedures and comply with different deadlines for filing documents and presenting information. If you fail to do so, you could find yourself with nothing at all. Depending on your location, you may have as few as 30 days to file.

Yet another difference is the party responsible for paying damages, assuming that your case is successful. With private property, you’ll be paid by an insurer. With public property, the government agency that owns the property is responsible for paying you. So, if you slipped and fell within the county courthouse, then the county government would be responsible. If you slipped and fell within the state capitol, then the state government would be responsible. 

If you’ve been injured on public property, such as within a municipal building, moving forward can be confusing and frustrating. You must take the right steps at the right time to prove that you were indeed injured within a municipal building and that the government agency that owns the building is responsible. Working with an attorney is vital here. Contact Grewer Law to schedule a consultation on your case and to learn more about how we can represent you.

Grewer Law

Published by
Grewer Law

Recent Posts

How to Navigate Disputes in Workers’ Compensation Cases

In a perfect world, workers’ compensation cases would always work out for the best for…

1 week ago

How to Tell If Your Loved One Is Suffering From Nursing Home Abuse

Nursing homes are supposed to be sanctuaries where our aging loved ones are treated with…

3 weeks ago

The Most Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries

According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, almost 18,000 people experience a traumatic…

1 month ago

Common Myths about Worker’s Compensation

Worker’s compensation laws are in place to protect employees and employers. However, applying for benefits…

2 months ago

How Social Media Can Affect Your Personal Injury Case: Dos and Don’ts

We’ve spent decades using social media sites to share every little thing that happens in…

3 months ago

Seeking Compensation for the Financial and Emotional Impacts of Wrongful Death

Losing a loved one is never easy, even if it’s due to a long-term illness.…

3 months ago